Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Helgren kids have my heart! I love them!!!

What a night last night was!! Since it was Valentine’s Day, a lot of the Journeymen volunteered to help watch kids so that the parents could go out. If only you could have been a fly on the wall!! It was great.

A friend and I watched the two kids from next door, Lily & Easton (a two year old and a 6 month old) and were in charge of getting two little boys fed and to the children’s activity. What an experience. It took quite a bit of effort to even get to the cafeteria for dinner. Once there, we enlisted another fellow Journeyman to watch the little ones, while we got dinner for the two boys and ourselves!

• Side note: dinner was amazing. We had filet mignon, purple potatoes, asparagus, lobster bisque, and a choice of: chocolate cake, carrot cake or cheesecake, for dessert. It was a nice evening.

Back to the excitement . . . we finally get seated, only to remember I had forgotten Lily’s food, my drink and silverware. So back in line I went! The boys were settled in, my friend was attempting to feed Easton and I was cutting my steak with a butter knife and feeding it to Lily. While finally getting to eat my food, I glance over to the next table to notice one of the boys entrusted to my care was lifting the table off the floor . . . while everyone on the other side was still eating! I stopped that just short of disaster.

When dinner was finally complete, our table was a disaster area. Food/crumbs/baby supplies/etc was scattered all across the table. When you walked around, the sound of croutons being crushed was heard. It was great. It was a team effort to get things picked up and the kids back out the door! As we are dumping the trash, Lily is throwing her milk carton in the trash . . . before we can stop it, she has turned it upside down over her head. Yup, she was covered in milk. Just lovely. Thirty minutes later, we were headed out the door and back home.

Our next task was bath time. Easton had fallen asleep on the walk back to the Quad, so we left him in the stroller and gave Lily a bath. Holy moly! Tonight was the night she didn’t want to take a bath. If you had walked by our quad, you would have heard blood-curdling cries. I was doing anything in my power to get her to quit crying and laugh . . . I resorted to having a splashing contest. Needless to say, she stopped crying and I was covered in water. Fun stuff. We set Lily up to watch White Christmas (a favorite of hers) and washed Easton. Piece of cake.

Don’t ever tell a mother you think being a stay-at-home mom isn’t a real job. She has every right to hit you for that comment. I have the utmost admiration for you moms.

So that was my Valentines . . . how was yours?

No comments: