Saturday, June 02, 2007

Rats in My Kitchen

I awoke early yesterday morning, around 2:00 AM, to the sound of rodents in my kitchen. Yes, rats in my kitchen. Luckily, the odd layout of my house did not permit them to wander into my room, but the way the ceiling of the kitchen is built they can come and go as they please. Great. Just what I want to deal with. If they had done their business quietly, I might not have been so peeved. They attacked my bread, so that meant no peanut butter and jelly sandwiches until I can get back to the store. That may have been the cause of the anger! I think there is a whole family living in the ceiling above my room. They scurry around like nobody’s business. Today’s task: find and buy rat poison.

Things have been pretty slow here. I haven’t updated, because there really hasn’t been much to update you on. I have been learning Spanish and knocking around the exciting town of Puerto Maldonado. My understanding of Spanish is getting much better, I am still awfully slow in responding to questions – but it will come.

My partner should be arriving soon, and soon after that we should head out into a community. I am ready to get out and get going! My training starts August 20th and lasts through November 20th. I think it will be hard going through training after already being out in the communities . . . but the Father is good and His grace will abound – as it has since the day I arrived here.

I have been learning patience and how to love, regardless of how a person may treat me or react to me. That is easier said then done. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. It is a learning process. The Father is faithful. Leaning on Him is a daily thing. It is all I know how to do.

I have a new nickname. And no, it isn’t any form of Brock. Teresa is now calling me: Scrub. Why? Because I was the manager for the volleyball team and did laundry and was a mere scrub (so she says!). So, for once in my life, I will be called by something other than: Brocky, Brockly, Brockster, Brock-a-lock, Brocketteer, etc.

Next time I update will most likely be after I return from being in the communities. Thank you for lifting me up and for your support of my ministry here.

3 comments:

firework said...

Ewwww, Amanda...I'm so sorry about the rats. I would perish. Definitely lifting you up...

C said...

A nice bull snake would take care of those rodents! :)

I got to hang with Viv yesterday at Shiloh, after the students left for camp.

MISS U!!!!

LandA said...

I totally know what you mean about being slow in responding to questions! It is so frustrating because by the time I figure out the question and the appropriate response the opportunity is usually lost!

~A