Thursday, April 26, 2007

Back from the Jungle

Well, I survived my first 3 nights in the jungle. It was a very humbling experience. I know how to do nothing. The whole hygiene thing is something I am still learning. I seem to fall every 10 steps. Me and mud just aren´t friends. My Spanish is getting better day by day. Two of the girls sat down with me for an hour one night and just pointed to thing and said their Spanish name. It was beneficial. I had to get used to the sleeping as well. We go to bed around 7:00 PM. Yes, you read right. So, around midnight, I am wide awake. It is crazy. Tuesday night, I think I was in bed at 6. Never in my life have I gotten this much sleep!! Slowly I am picking up how to do things.

I provide the entertainment for the 3 girls in training. It seems I am always doing something worth a good laugh. The other day we had to cross the log bridge (about 10 ft above the extremely shallow water) and my shoes were carrying an excessive amount of mud. There was no way on earth I was getting across without falling . . . so what did I do? Yup, crawled across on all fours. They thought that was the funniest thing they had seen yet! Man, it is crazy.

I am now back in the city for a few days. I think Graham and I go back to camp on Sunday. Whew. I will never again take for granted indoor plumbing. Things are still good though. Some days are harder than others. But the Father is greater than those ´off´days.

I will be taking my camera with me this time, so hopefully next time I post, I can put up some pictures on my living arrangements!!!

Thanks for the prayers. They are appreciated.

10 comments:

C said...

I never got your prayer card, but I really don't need it now. I've decided to pray for you every time I wipe my butt with cushiony Charmin.

Love u. So does God. He's excited, ya' know?

Peyton said...

Brock it like its hot! You really are living the xtreme. That's awesome. So why do you go to sleep at 7pm? Or did I miss that? I'm excited to see the pics.

Steph said...

I love you Brock...so much. Thanks for this update. And your email. Made my day. I miss you tons...email to come soon! Mucho love.

(how'd you like me throwing 1 of my 10 Spanish words! just trying to help a sister out...)

Seriously, I'm lifting you up. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the report! Good job . . . day by day . . . step by step. Hang in there.

Copeland's Coffee Break said...

Amanda! I'm so glad to hear that you're doing well and are laughing at yourself. I think having that ability will help get us all through. Wish you were here to see me work the bus system in Costa Rica. I'm doing a little better than I did with the metro in D.C. Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers daily!

MichelleKay said...

I am having so much fun reading your blog. You are going to have such an amazing 2 years.

Matthew said...

You are so EXTREME! It is great to hear that Father is sustaining you through the good and the bad! He is amazing like that. Chat with you later!

Sarah Dean said...

Brock...rock it out, sister. =) I can't wait to see pictures. I love you!!

Alys said...

brock...stories are great! i love and miss you!

ljmichael said...

Amanda, thanks for your updates. They help to fill the gaps with Graham.

Larry Michael

Our prayers are with you -- you go, girl!