Saturday, April 21, 2007

Welcome to the Jungle!!

I am here . . . and have spent my first full day living in the jungle . . . minus the camping out part.

I was dropped off and had to hike to camp. This trek was downhill, muddy, and required crossing a good ol´ log bridge about 10 feet over the water. It was crazy, but I made it. Upon arriving at the camp, I met up with the only Spanish-speaking xtremers and we hiked back over the log bridge to go find food. Yes, my first experience in the jungle and I had to catch my food!! As we got to this piece of land, it began to rain (of course it would!) and we were left to chase a chicken through the mud and the muck. When I use the term ¨we¨ , I use it rather loosely. I watched. They asked me to wring its neck . . . I passed this time. Next, we had to go fetch some water . . . and of course it was down a muddy hill. Needless to say, I wiped out and decided to go down the rest of the way on my right knee. It was a sight to behold. I began to realize that I was the source of entertainment for these 3 girls. If you go down, you have to go back up. I slipped and slided all over, but arrived back at the little house we were cooking in. I was dripping wet (remember it was raining?) and covered in mud. One of the girls looks at me and says, ¨Ah, Xtremo!¨ It was funny. They helped me learn a few new things in Spanish and all was well. Later this afternoon, we chopped down a tree and then cut it into firewood. I tell you, they weren´t joking when they gave this team the name Xtreme. No sir.

My first experience was good. I am tired. I stink. And I think I still have bugs in my pants. But all is well. It is still hard. But His Grace is sufficient (thanks friend, for the reminder).

Until next time . . .

12 comments:

The Helgren Family said...

Brock
I love you on so many levels and oh how you crack me up because I can picture vividly this experience!! I hope you got a picture of yourself for future reference! Thought about you tonight as I slept under my net in ZAMBIA!!
Hang in there and we are praying!
Love ya
Joy

Anonymous said...

wow. wow. wow. extreme is right. :-)
love you.

MichelleKay said...

Amanda...I got some good laughs out of this update! I am SO excited for you!!! I wish I could be in two places at once cause I would definitely be with you too! love ya girl
-Michelle
PS- Do you want a revolution?

Julianne said...

That's so exciting, Amanda! Wow...

I ate mutton brain today! It wasn't all that good, and I didn't actually kill it myself...but it was still exciting.

We've been praying for you!

Julianne

Steph said...

Brock!! Oh how I miss you...miss your hugs and your laugh - I miss getting to watch you slip and slide up and down muddy hills - I miss seeing you chase a chicken through the muck - but most of all, I think I miss the bugs in your pants!! Man, you are xtreme!!! =) Thanks for the fantastic update. I'm lifting you up, dear friend. I love you.

Herz said...

GO XTREME or GO HOME..that's all I gotta say...and pretty much you proved that ; ) I love you lots and am amazed at all you done, even in the first couple days. You rock, my sister, and I can't wait till you come hang with us no-xtremers in the sandbox...we have a real bed for you!

Anonymous said...

Amanda....you are extremely amazing!! Like everyone else said, I definitely love the visual images I got reading your update...chasing after chickens for dinner, whoa! Well, I'm praying for you too! Love ya!
-Christy

Anonymous said...

Amanda! WOW! You are definitely courageous and full of faith! What a crazy 1st day! We will be praying for you - what an amazing experience! I can't wait to read what comes next!

Abby

firework said...

My mouth dropped open throughout most of my time reading this entry...girl, I think you're my hero. Yeah, I'm pretty sure! :) And I was stressed about how to lift my bags off of the carousel at the airport...hahahaha!

Anonymous said...

amanda! you're pretty much amazing!
good luck with the rest of those chickens, I'm definitely praying for you!!

Anonymous said...

Bugs in your pants?!?! Yes! Love you Brock.

Anonymous said...

brockie-
his grace is sufficient indeed. and we're in this together. love you so much.
and send joy my email por favor